A day in the life and home of a child that lives in an informal settlement

Hi my name is Jimmy, I’m 11 years old and I live in an informal settlement. The one night I forgot to do my homework do I had to do my homework under a lamppost I wish that we had electricity so I could see at night. I always eat stuff that we can grow ,I wish my parents had jobs so they had a bit more money because if they had more money I wouldn’t have to only eat eggs to get protein.My feet always get cut,cold and sore when I walk to school, another thing that could make my life easier is if I had nice shoes. I wish that we had better materials to build our houses with because it’s so cold at night that sometimes I don’t get any sleep at all. We have no grass on our fields ,I wish that we had soil that can grow grass because every time we play sport our feet hurt so we have to stop playing. I wish we had shops with the things I need for school because I can’t do half of the work that they do without the things I need.

I think my life would be easier if we had bathrooms in our house because every morning before I go to school I have to go to the dam to wash myself. My life would be a little easier if my roof could be nailed into my walls because sometimes when it rains my homework and other belongings get wet and then I have to use my clothes to dry it. When our shops that we have don’t have the things we need I wish we had a car so we don’t have to walk so far to get to the shops the normal people have so we can get our things. If only we had sports gear because sometimes when we play we do something wrong and then someone gets badly hurt.If only we had nice fabrics to make our clothing because sometimes when our clothes are uncomfortable we can’t run around like we can with comfortable clothing. My life would be a lot easier if we didn’t have to walk so far to get to school and back because sometimes you have to sit down halfway through the walk to catch your breath. Something that would make my life so much easier is if we had more people that wanted to be doctors so we don't have to wait so long just to see if we are sick. Today I woke up and had to go and fetch my friend from his house so we could walk to school together it’s just that there are so many people living here that I had to walk so far to get to my friend then we had to go to school after that, I wish we bicycles.

Comments

  1. You have identified real challenges for people living in informal settlements. I enjoyed reading your blog Kian.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Singing Inspector

The Grade 4 Camp